Things running around in my head, bookmarked on my computer, all coming out on paper. I keep thinking back to my senior year at SCAD when we were having discussions just like this - about where to send your promotional materials, how to research companies and target those art directors and publishers that fit your style. So, 10 years later I'm getting around to this, and even though a lot has changed, illustrators still make art, and they still mail postcards.
Based on your research, gather a targeted list of 10 Companies, Publishers, Art Directors or Manufacturers that you will be contacting when we get to that part of the challenge.
1. Frank Sturges, artist representative
2. Lindgren & Smith, artist representative
3. Marlena Agency, artist agent
4. Jennifer Vaughn, artist representative
5. Magnet Reps, artist representatives
6. Maili Holiman, George Lucas Educational Foundation's magazine
7. Jody Churchfield, O Magazine
8. Michael Schnaidt, Entertainment Weekly
9. Lexie Rhodes, Thriving Family Magazine
10. SooJin Buzelli, PlanSponsor Magazine
Armed with everything you now know about your list of contacts, plan out 6 portfolio pieces that you will be creating in the next 3 weeks of the challenge.
1. Participate in Illustration Friday for one week
2. The Water Babies book illustration
3. Book cover illustration for Philo & Sophy
4. Portrait of a famous person
5. Illustrations for a news article
6. Illustration for a magazine article
I took a trip to the library reference department to look through the Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market book, and then to Borders to look through the magazines. It helped to go to the library first, then browse the most current publications and book covers second, to tighten up my list. Both things I need to probably do once or twice a month. A good excuse to go to the bookstore and look around.